Tuesday 1 July 2008

Tokyo Japan Day 1/2

Finally I think I am over my Jet lag, after a few drinks in the bar downstairs I met a few of the people staying here, got talking and had a few beers, then went out for some food and a few more beers.


The main guys I was out with were an Aussie and a French man, and they were both pretty well travelled, so got talking about places they had been etc. Ended up staying up quite late, ended up at the Khaosin Annex guest house which is just around the corner, the Annex is bigger than where im staying (Khaosin Smile guest house) so we were hoping a few more people would be up for a few drinks etc, they dissapointed as they only seemed to be interested in sitting on the internet. If you go to another country, you would think they would like to enjoy the experience and meet new people, rather than do what you can do at home, but nevermind i'm sure I will get over it.

Quote of the evening being "what time does the vending machine close" we seriously need beer vending machines back in the UK so conveiniant, and at around 150 yen you cant go wrong.

When I arrived yester day, I found the hostel quite easily as it is a minute walk from the Asahi (beer) HQ which you cant exactly miss comming out of the tube.


Next up where im staying , this place is pretty cool, free internet, computers are abit slow, but I didnt expect them to be. Rooms are nice with air conditioning, and for about 10 pounds a night I think thats amazing.

My room for the next few nights

Crazy Toilet

Asasuka by night

So that was my first day, I was tired but didnt get to sleep till about 3am and was up at about 8am, I have been up all day, so hopefully ive got rid of my jet lag.

Today I hung out with2 Americans from Utah who are in the same room as me, they have been here about a month, so I now understand the subway etc. Went to Akihabara also known as electric town for electronic goods, arcades etc and now also for those stabbings that were in the news. There was a big police presence everywhere, a little intimidating with batons at hand. Saw a few vidules where people had been killed, serioulsy surreal, as I has seen it on thenews and am now actually here where it happened.

Went in a few arcades, England played the USA in serveral games of Arcade football (were still rubbish at penelties) saw the main game I wanted to play, you sit in a capsule and and control a mech warrior style robot with a large curved screen which takes up your entire line of sight so you are completly emersed as you battle players online from other game centers.


Didnt get to play as you need to buy a card before you play and is pretty expensive but still cool to watch. Also schooled a few locals on Tekkin 6 haha Yoshimitsu ftw!

Akiharbara


The rest of the day we went to Uedo park, the weather is pretty good, not to sunny and a little humid, saw a few temples. There was a wild snake on top rock bit of a shock when I spotted it, got away before I could get my camera out sadly.






Also Bumped into an old friend also far from home


ThinkI might be heading to shibuya tomorrow or as I have renamed it Shi-BOOYA! Its best known for that massive crossing and all the lights and advertising etc so hopefully will be pretty cool.


Laters

No comments: